1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 9:21 AM by philmodjunk

Record multiple users on one record

wakinheimer

Title

Record multiple users on one record

FileMaker Pro 11:

I have a System Test table where several operators enter a portion of the data collected.  One record should contain "Assembler", "Tester", and potentially "BurnIn Tester", and/or "HiPot Tester" additionally.  Right now, the fields are set up as drop-down lists from a value list of applicable personnel.  I need two things to happen.  1) if the user's account name doesn't correlate with the drop-down choice, I'd like an alert to appear to make the user either select the correct name, or re-login. (It is not uncommon for one user to log in, leave the record open, then the next phase user comes in and adds to the record under the original user's account name.) and, 2) The record cannot be considered "complete" without both "Assembler" and "Tester" filled out, but these two steps most often happen at different times.  ("BurnIn" and "HiPot" are special cases that I will figure out once I understand the best way to accomplish this first part.)

This table is the parent to another table and I have a script step that commits the record at some point during data entry, so I can't require the "Tester" field to be not empty at all times.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this - you might need more information from me.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Vicki

• 1. Re: Record multiple users on one record
          philmodjunk

1) if the user's account name doesn't correlate with the drop-down choice, I'd like an alert to appear to make the user either select the correct name, or re-login.

Use OnObjectValidate to perform a script. The script can use the value in the field and Get ( accountName ) (identify individual) or Get ( accountPrivilegeSetName ) (Identify user as member of a group) to determine whether the current log in is appropriate for the value selected.

2) you haven't really spelled out how records with "complete" and "incomplete" status should be handled so I can only list possible approaches:

OnRecordCommit can be used in a fashion similar to OnObjectValidate to check for completeness.

Conditional formatting on required fields can highlight the fields in a contrasting color until they contain data

A calculation field can return the text "complete" or "Incomplete" based on what fields contain or do not contain data.

Layout text can be set to be invisible if the record is "Complete" and visible if it is "Incomplete" or vice versa.

Navigation buttons on the layout can perform scripts that refuse to take the user to another layout or record if the current record is not complete.