5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 9:15 PM by craig5005

Record not showing up

craig5005

Title

Record not showing up

I have a record in a table that is not showing up for some reason.  When I go into Manage / Database window and look at the Table tab I see the correct amount of records (64).  However, when viewing these records in a layout.... only 63 show up.  The script that brings up that layout has a "show all records" line too.  If it means anything, the record that isn't showing up is 001.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Craig

• 1. Re: Record not showing up
          mrvodka
             What happens if you try to export the records? Have you tried saving a copy as compact? Missing records like this usually is a indicator of corruption. You may need to try and recover a copy of the file if all other options as expunged.
          • 2. Re: Record not showing up
            craig5005

When I exported, 001 did not show up.  I backup daily so I can easily recover that record.  However, what causes corruption?  Can it be prevented?

Thanks

Craig

• 3. Re: Record not showing up
              mrvodka

Corruption can be caused by many ways, but one of the most common reasons being abrupt communication failure. This can be caused by server crashing, files closing, not using proper procedures to open the file, subpar hard drive, etc etc...

There are numerous best practices papers around on how to minimize corruption.

BTW, are you using server, stand alone, or peer to peer?

• 4. Re: Record not showing up
                craig5005
                   We had a server that was to host it, but FMS 9 won't run on a 64bit OS.... so we may use a computer that is hardly used to host as a server.  However, this corruption took place while it was open on one computer, and 2 other machines were using the file remotely.  I am guessing that maybe the problem arised from poor file closing's.  The two other machines were laptops that probably went into standby or hibernation or something while the file was open.
                • 5. Re: Record not showing up
                  craig5005
                     Also.... we can't upgrade to FMS 10 right now since we work under a federal budget that has been submitted for the year and there isn't room for upgrade (at this point)... otherwise our 64bit problem would be solved.