Best way to create" tree outline" layout

layout shows records and sub records in outline style

record

sub record

sub of sub record

etc.

• 1. Re: record outline layout
          philmodjunk

You'll need to describe a few more details. Are sub records and sub sub records records from the same table or related tables?

• 2. Re: record outline layout
            philmodjunk

Hmmm, now that I think of it, I don't think the answer to my question really matters.

Say you have these relationships

Records---<SubRecords------<SubSubRecords

Records::__pkRecordID = SubRecords::_fkRecordID
            SubRecords::__pkSubRecID = SubSubRecords::_fkSubRecID

For reporting purposes, you can set up a list view layout based on SubSubRecords. Fields from Sub Records and Records can be included ins Sub Summary parts to produce the format you've specified.

While such a layout could be used for data entry, you may find that portals make more sense for data entry. Since you can't put a portal inside a portal that requires either setting up a List layout based on SubRecords with a portal to SubSubRecords or a "master-detail" pair of portals on a Records layout where putting the focus on a row in the "master" portal (based on SubRecords) establishes a link to and displays the related SubSubRecords in the "detail" portal.

• 3. Re: record outline layout
              Willz

I'm trying to do in FM what is often found on the web - Organization of projects etc.

The ability to build Categories and sub categories and lists of items with sub list items and sub of sub list items etc. etc. etc.

And be able to move content of one field to another - which I'll do with script buttons i suppose.

But trying to figure out the correct table and layout organization.  

Seperate tables for each level is what I think your saying above??

• 4. Re: record outline layout
                philmodjunk

I have three table occurrences, they could all be occurrences of the same data source table.

Moving content from one field to another can also be done with drag and drop.