5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2012 8:43 PM by synergy46

Record visibility in portal

synergy46

Title

Record visibility in portal

I have a membership database.  On the left of the image below is a portal which shows the same membership records as the area to the right but is limited to names.  It is in this poral that uses click to select a member record.

Problem:  Due to death, suspension, non payment of dues etc, sometimes a member becomes 'inactive'.  I need a way to have a button click that will run a script that will SHOW JUST THE ACTIVE MEMBERS ON THE LEFT SIDE PORTAL.

I succeeded in writing a script that allows me to to use arrow buttons to jump through just the active records.  But, I can still  SEE the inactive records.  I don't want to see the inactdive record member names (on the left)

I suspect there is some kind of relationship I can use but I can't get the relationship to show Members::STATUS = "".  It seems  a relationship limiter reqires  field to field relationship???

Thanks for reading...

membership.jpg

• 1. Re: Record visibility in portal
          schamblee

You need  three new fields.  First the customer database needs a field call Inactive that set status to active or inactive (T or F).   
          I use a checkbox on layout. Then you need a second field calculation field call view (You can change
          field names according to your needs) with this calculation If(inactive="T";"Inactive";"Active") & ¶ & "All" .
          The third field whatToView.  set a relationship between the view and whatToView.

1.  The check box would be on the right to state active / inactive.  (Status)

2.  Radio buttons would be on left to set the record you want to view in your portal. (whatToView - Which is the Names you want in your portal)
              These buttons are connected to the whatToview field.  (Active/Inactive/All)

• 2. Re: Record visibility in portal
            synergy46

I got the portal to work by using a portal filter.  I can now click on Active, Inactive or All and the  portal responds accordingly.  Kewl.

But, here is the last  part of the problem:  "When I click Members and then Inactive I get as shown in attached picture.   Inactive Members in the portal.  Great.  But, in the main window, I continue to see All the records.

Is this where I need to adjust the self join (Cortesian) ?  I think this is where the WhatToView field comes in but I don't get how to create it or what it's calculation looks like.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Record visibility in portal
              philmodjunk

You would need to perform a find to find all active (or inactive) members if you wanted to limit your layout's found set to just members of one or the other category. Such a find can be scripted.

• 4. Re: Record visibility in portal
                schamblee

As phil stated above you would add a script trigger on the radio button such onModify and perform a find "Active" or "Inactive" or "ShowAll".  This way your portal and records update accordingly.

• 5. Re: Record visibility in portal
                  synergy46

Thanks guys!  The scripting was the key.