7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 3:05 PM by TimErickson

Recording pictures, movies, and sounds

TimErickson

Title

Recording pictures, movies, and sounds

All three of these media need to go into container fields. I'd love to use on-board devices to fill the fields directly instead of making files and then importing them.

I'm looking for confirmation on what I have observed (and hope I'm wrong!). 

FM Pro 11 on my Mac: 

I can record a sound directly using the computer's mike

I cannot record a photo using the camera

I cannot record a movie using the camera

FM Go 1.2 on an iPad 2:

I cannot record a sound directly using the mike

I can record a photo using the camera (it seems to launch the Camera app)

I cannot record a movie using the camera (The camera app has no movie button)

True? 

• 1. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
          Dave Graham

Looks like you might want to use a plug-in. Troi Grabber should do the trick.

- dg

• 2. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
            TimErickson

Thanks!

(And then I look...) $999! Yikes!

I see they have other likely (and cheaper) products, but all kinda pricey for a teacher like me. I'm trying to enhance my FM-based grading system so I can, for example, have kids explain a concept to me, and have the video (or audio), or a still of their work, captured easily to their "portfolio." I mean, I could use some other app to do this, but it would be great to do it all in FM and not have to worry about assembling all the files.

• 3. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
              philmodjunk

Check out using the insert options in FileMaker that can be used to insert these files (Or a reference to them) into a container field. This can be a pretty simple task once you have saved the file to a drive you can access from your computer.

• 4. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
                Dave Graham

Yeow...that is a little pricey. If you are on a Mac you could always configure your camera and video recording software to save to a "watch" folder and use AppleScript to automate the process. 

- dg

• 5. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
                  TimErickson

Yeah, inserting existing files works great! 

I was just hoping I could use the onboard systems to fill the container fields directly, rather than having to use a different application to create the media, and then having to remember, after class, to insert the files into the right spots. As well as remembering where the heck I put them... 

And it seemed odd that FMP 11 would do sound but not pictures, and that FM Go would do pictures but not sounds. Still no confirmation that I have that right!

That neither of them do movies is more understandable, but still, dang!

• 6. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
                    philmodjunk

You are correct as to what Pro and Go can do here.

Usually, when capturing data in such formats, you also need the ability to edit the files--if only to trim them down to more useful sizes by cropping images and by removing uneeded video footage. Since FileMaker is a database program, not a media editing program, you'd best want at least some capabilities for that purposes anyway.

You can always put your new media files in a designated folder, then use FileMaker to insert the image into a container field. A Filemaker script can even be used to move the file to a designated folder and then delete the original if you want.

• 7. Re: Recording pictures, movies, and sounds
                      TimErickson

An excellent point, Phil. Especially about video. Combined with Dave's comment about a "watch" folder, yeah, I could relearn enough AppleScript — or use a FileMaker script — to help automate the process. 

That would also give me the power to use only links to the files. Hmmm. 

And thanks for the confirmation. You guys have been great!