2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 9:55 PM by Vaughan

Records are there, but I can't find em'

jd2775

Title

Records are there, but I can't find em'

My main layout page used to have dropdown menus for different data points being entered.  To automate things using a PDA and barcodes, I created a button for importing data from Excel.  Worked just fine at first.  However, to make the page look cleaner I deleted all the manual data boxes from they layout (just from the layout, not the table itself) and now I can't find my records.  It says they are there, but I can't view them in tables anymore or do any finds on them.  Any idea how to get to these?  Do I have to put those data boxes back on the layout even though I'm not going to use them?

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Records are there, but I can't find em'
          Orlando

Hi jd2775

How are you trying to find the records? Are you using a scripted process or manual enter find mode and search?

• 2. Re: Records are there, but I can't find em'
            Vaughan

"Do I have to put those data boxes back on the layout even though I'm not going to use them?"

I'd say so, yes.

However you might be able to have your cake and eat it by creating a second layout with all the fields in it for performing finds.

Change to Layout mode and create a new Layout (Layouts menu, New layout command). Choose the table form the list of options, select all fields and select the layout template.

You can switch between the layouts using the Layouts drop-down menu at the top of the Status Area, which is on the left hand side of the FileMaker Pro window.