1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 1:04 PM by RafaelRodriguez

recurring import

denno

Title

recurring import

Recurring import sends the data from the file into a new table. How do I get that data into my existing table in the database?

• 1. Re: recurring import
          philmodjunk

What steps are you taking to import the data?

To use import records to import data into an existing table, you first select a layout based on that table or you can use a script.

Either way you can import the data into an existing table.

• 2. Re: recurring import
            denno

Select Import>File

select Excel file and recurring option

dialog box appears asking for layout and table name

imported data goes into the new table (as described in the user manual) 

The problem is that I want the import to go into my existing table (like a regular, nonrecurring import would do.)

• 3. Re: recurring import
              philmodjunk

Interesting, that's an option I haven't played with before.

It creates a script, layout and table for your import.

You can either edit the Import records step in the script to specify an existing table. Or you can study how the script works and then create your own import script--specifying the desired table.

• 4. Re: recurring import
                mrvodka

Its new to 11. ;)

• 5. Re: recurring import
                  RafaelRodriguez

I have a question is it possible to have multiple recurring excel imports into the same database?

• 6. Re: recurring import
                    philmodjunk

Yes, as I mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, you simply use the Import Records operation--either manually or in a script. The key detail you'll have to manage if you script it is whether the excel file will have the same filename each time or if it will be different.

• 7. Re: recurring import
                      RafaelRodriguez

Yes i have been able to set one recurring document into a database but to be more specific can i set up 5 different excel files to be recurring simultaneously into a single database combined?

• 8. Re: recurring import
                        philmodjunk

Don't see why not.

You can have as many import records script steps in a single script as you need and each can specify a different source and/or target table.

• 9. Re: recurring import
                          RafaelRodriguez

Do you have any suggestions or resources were i can find how to do that?

• 10. Re: recurring import
                            philmodjunk

Do you know how to write a script?

It's not a terribly difficult script to create.

It'll basically look like:

Import Records
                            Import Records
                            Import Records

The details specified for each step are where you select an input file, target table and map the columns of data to specific fields in the table. If you can use Import records to manually import the data, then you'll find that setting up each import records script step uses the same dialogs.

There are books and tutorials onf filemaker available if you need to use them.

and of course you can continue to ask questions here as you try to apply what you've learned.

• 11. Re: recurring import
                              RafaelRodriguez

I do not know how to script and i am a novice at the moment with everything dealing with filemaker and programming. The code works thank you are there any good places online for free?

• 12. Re: recurring import
                                RafaelRodriguez

Here is another question How do you change the name of the button that is created from making a recurring import? I tried to do it through the layout but it says that it is locked any ideas?

• 13. Re: recurring import
                                  philmodjunk

I wouldn't use that approach. I'd start with a script and attach it to a button added to the layout with the button tool.

Button labels can be changed by selecting the button in layout mode, clicking the text tool, then click the button's label text.

• 14. Re: recurring import
                                    RafaelRodriguez

I have another question on filemaker 11 on xp. I have a script with a recurring import and i want display the date that the file was last modified on my layout not the day it was imported. Please simplify to novice terms Thank you

1 2 Previous Next