2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 10:49 AM by MikeLeathem

Recurring Imports and Layouts

MikeLeathem

Title

Recurring Imports and Layouts

Hi,

Brand new to Filemaker Pro but amazed at what is possible so far.

I picked up the standard solution for contact management, imported my data from a Excel spreadsheet fine. I played around with the layout to get the info looking as I wanted. But I now need to update this database from the same spreadsheet each time.

My problem is when I use Import and select recurring import I cant get the new data to update the existing data and it wont do it inside the same layout. The data imports as it says it will in Table View with the import button which is fine but when I try to use the original layout I lose the additional records as it reverts to the data in the original database.

If anyone has an inkling what Im on about I would be surprised but ill ask for help anyhow.

Thanks, Mike

• 1. Re: Recurring Imports and Layouts
          philmodjunk

Import records is a nice, but limited new feature added to FileMaker 11.

To get what you need, you'll need to use the original, non-recurring Import Records action. Once you can get the results you want manually, you can set up a script so that you can do this with the click of a button. Import records gives you many options--including whether the import adds new records or updates existing records--so you'll need to look this feature up in FileMaker help and figure out which options produce what you need here. Since this action has the potential to add or modify a large number of records, make a back up copy first so that you can toss the file and start over if your import doesn't produce the results you expected.

• 2. Re: Recurring Imports and Layouts
            MikeLeathem

Phil,

Thanks for your help. Import records works much better. Appreciate your help.

Mike