5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 11:58 AM by UncleGeo

Reducing the size of video playback controls

UncleGeo

Title

Reducing the size of video playback controls

Can I do that?

Each record has a container field that shows an image, doc or video. In individual records I made a larger sized container but I have another layout where I've reduced the container to thumbnail size so it's easy to scroll through to find the what you want.

The problem is that, at the smaller size, the video controls take up half the container size. FM11 had a simple thin control and that worked fine, FM 12 seems to have a freakin' huge fancy controller.

Can I reduce the size of the controls, change to another "style" or (I know I'm wishing here) disconnect the controls from the container?

Or maybe there's a solution that shows the image but not the controls and if you click on the image it pulls up a player. It would be nice to do this without having leaving the layout.

FM_vid.png

• 1. Re: Reducing the size of video playback controls
          philmodjunk

Or maybe there's a solution that shows the image but not the controls and if you click on the image it pulls up a player. It would be nice to do this without having leaving the layout.

That would appear to be your best option. If you do not use the "optimize for interactive content" option, I don't think you'll see those controls, but the field can be formatted as a button that opens up a window to a different layout or that simply changes layouts to a layout that has a large format copy of the same field with it optimized on that layout for interactive content.

• 2. Re: Reducing the size of video playback controls
            UncleGeo

Thanks for the reply!

Unchecking does indeed get rid of the controls (it also changes what you see from a video window to an icon of the file -negating the reason for having the image there).

FM 12 changed the way this worked. In FM 11 the controls were smaller and the container showed the first frame of the video. in FM 12 it shows a black frame until you hit play. The idea was to be able to quickly search through a number of videos, play them in a small size to see if it's generally what you want, check a "mark" box so you could find the "marks" with a search and them watch 'em one by one in bigger size in the individual records.

Another solution is to just use FM 11! And I want to make run times, so I can send databases with image,doc and video collections to my clients. I can probably pick up FM11 Developer/Advanced for a little less.

• 3. Re: Reducing the size of video playback controls
              philmodjunk

What happens if you use Insert Quick Time to insert the video into your non-interactive container field?

• 4. Re: Reducing the size of video playback controls
                UncleGeo

You, sir, are a freakin' genius!

That restores the functionality I though I lost because I went to 12, when in fact it is my own ignorance that has foiled me (again)!

That works great. Thanks you so much. Here's a pic:

• 5. Re: Reducing the size of video playback controls
                  UncleGeo

Although...

It seems to have to be a Quicktime, avi or.qt to show up in the insert dialog and then play once it's in. If I insert anything else as a "file"  shows a file icon/name. You can click on it and it opens the file and plays it in Windows Media Player.

AVI is pretty standard for video production so it may not be a huge issue for me but it would be nice to have all video file types play the same way.