6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2011 4:29 PM by NicoleS.

Reference Files and IWP issues

DavidMuench

Title

Reference Files and IWP issues

Hello,

I am working with reference files in a container field on Filemaker Pro.  The IWP has worked wonderfully for all portions of my database except the container files.  I am storing some files in container fields and am able to access them from the program itself.  However, when any of my staff access the file via IWP they can not see the reference files in the container fields and therefore can't open them.  This is an important piece for me and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks so much,
      Dave 

• 1. Re: Reference Files and IWP issues
          philmodjunk

From the Product Documentation SubMenu in FileMaker help, select the PDF File, "Instant Web Publishing Guide". And look up container fields. If files have been inserted into them using the "store a reference" option, the files must be physcially located in a specific directory or IWP clients will be unable to access the file.

• 2. Re: Reference Files and IWP issues
            DavidMuench

Thanks PhilModJunk.  I did look it up and the specific directory that you are referring to in the IWP guide is the "Web" folder that can be found in your filemaker pro program file.  For those using this post to solve a similar issue their is a read me file in the "Web" folder that gives you more information as well.  At any rate the location of the file must be in this folder if you want the reference to be viewed in web pulishing to others.

Thanks again....

Dave

• 3. Re: Reference Files and IWP issues
              NicoleS.

I am having the same problem and I DO have my photos stored in the "web" file within the FMP application file.  I have read the Read Me file as well.  These photos still do not appear in IWP.  What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Nicole

• 4. Re: Reference Files and IWP issues
                philmodjunk

Just guessing here...

Did you move them into this folder after they were already inserted "by reference" into your container fields?

If so, they still point to the original, inaccessible location and you'll need to either re-insert these files or use Replace Field Contents to update their references to point to the new location.

• 5. Re: Reference Files and IWP issues
                  NicoleS.

Actually, I moved the photos into the "web" folder then re-inserted the photos into the DB.  I didn't actually replace them, I just inserted them again as the DB wasn't seeing them once I moved them.  Thinking that that might be the problem I just deleted then re-inserted a photo on one record but it still doesn't show up on IWP.  Maybe I need to start from scratch and delete all the references in the container fields and then insert them again? 

• 6. Re: Reference Files and IWP issues
                    NicoleS.

Ah, I think I see the problem.  Does IWP not recognize .tiff files?  It looks like the .jpgs are showing up now, but now they fill the whole container field therefore distorting them.  The photos are all different shapes and sizes and that doesn't seem to matter in the original DB.  Why is IWP doing this?