Hmmm, can't imagine why this would not work the same in both versions--can't think of any bug reports offhand.
Can you share just a bit more info so we can experiment with trying to replicate this?
Can you post a copy of the calculation used?
Can you describe the design of this layout? (Do the calculated container fields come from the layout's table occurrence or a related table occurrence? If a related TO, what is the relationship used?)
Thank your fast reply.
About 1 year ago we have done a complete restart from scratch with all servers in order to fix this problem.
- reformatted and reinstalled OS X server on all servers
- reinstalled FMPA server
- reformatted all Raid HD's with stored images and recopied them onto it
Result = exactly the same after 4 days of work... :-( no images showing in FMP 11
Here is the calculation: with calculation result is 'container' and checked the Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty
image directory server=1 ; "image:/Images Stamps/" & image directory & "/web/" & stamp ID & ".jpg" ;
image directory server ≥ 2 ; "image:/Images Stamps 2/" & image directory & "/web/" & stamp ID & ".jpg" ;""
This calculation field is from the layout's table occurrence.
- there are 2 volumes with stored images that are mounted on a users desktop. The case will choose which volume.
- image directory is a calculated field that choose the directory in which the stamp is stored based on the stamp ID number.
- there are 3 directories - web/thumb/original - all 3 give the same result in FMP 11
Has a similar calculated field, but from a different table, it is placed on the same layout with a single criteria relationship from another table.
- I tried making a calculation to a single images with just a text input - "image:/Images Stamps/100000/web/120120.jpg" to retrieve the image, but it will still not display it in FMP 11.
- I changed the volume name to stamps (without spaces) and that also didn't make the image to show in FMP 11.
- FMP 9 & 10 show the images correctly. Starting with FMP 11 it stopped - I was thinking of a memory issue, as we noticed that sometimes images would show up one time and another time not... Older images tend to show up more than newer images.
I'm baffled by this.
Suggestions to find the solution are welcome?
Did a database search of the Known Bugs LIst and found one bug report that may or may not apply. I have no Idea what an "NFS" server is. If anyone knows out there, please enlighten me!
For More Information see: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/52cf44da3c#174697
This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.
It can also be downloaded as a database file from: http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html
I checked the bug report and indeed it is almost the same issue we are having. The big difference is that altering the read/write permissions do not influence the showing of the images in FMP 11. It always results in NOT showing the images or a random selection of them.
The bug only started showing with FMP 11. NOT in FMP 10 & 9.
I tried with different types of file sharing, all of them showed the same result. So changing server type is not going to resolve the issue.
OS X 10.5.8 server
- AFP: not showing
- SMB: not showing
- FTP: not showing
- NFS: not showing
- SMB: not showing
- AFP: not showing
-> PhilModJung: NFS is the unix network protocol, similar as AFP for OS X -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System_(protocol)
Filemaker Staff: please fix this bug, thank you.
I suggest posting to Report an Issue (See tab at top of screen) as this is where FileMaker Inc. folks check for possible bug reports. They may also have info in their bug databases to which I don't have access and your report may provide new info for which they were unaware. You can save typing by posting a link to this thread in your bug report.
She posted to the bug that I posted a link to. An official response from a filemaker inc rep confirming the issue is required before I add a record to my known bugs database and post a matching entry in the Known Bug thread in report an issue.
But your issue does not perfectly match what is reported as they are able to fix the problem by adding a higher level of access permission for the users in order to access the file. You've indicated that this didn't work in your case. That means that you either have a different issue or have encountered a new aspect of the existing one.
Either way, I think a post by you documenting your experience may be helpful in getting this fixed. It may even be that they have info in their systems that will provide a work around that enables you go get this working in FileMaker 11.