4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 1:44 PM by philmodjunk

Referencing external files

BryanN

Title

Referencing external files

So I have one db that includes customers, vendors, jobs, purchases, quotes, inventory, etc...  All working great with correct form.

I'm developing a concurrent database that will house our test reports for these jobs, customers, etc.

When in the relationship graph, I have 1 table that is local to the Test Reports database and I've imported 1 table (jobs) from the Customers database.

My question is this:

In order to make the chain of relatioships go Customers -> Jobs -> Test Report X, do I need to import both the Customer's and Job's table occurances into the relationships view or does just the jobs occurance being imported from the external table keep that relationship anyways without bringing in the Customers table occurance?

Screen_Shot_2012-07-23_at_12.05.40_PM.png

• 1. Re: Referencing external files
          BryanN

*edit* wrong thread

• 2. Re: Referencing external files
            philmodjunk

Hmmmm, your screen shot shows neither "job" nor "test Report". I must assume that a Work Order is also a "job" and that your test report would be based on the data in "clean_test".

If there is any data in Customers not also present in Work_Orders that you need to include in your test report, then yes, you will need an occurrence of customers linked to work_orders.

You may find it simpler to import Clean_Test TABLE--not the table occurrence into your original database and keep all tables in the same file.

I'd love to sort this value list by my second field that's shown in a decending order if at all possible.

And what value list is that? If this is a value list that uses the "Specify values from a field" option, then your only possible order is ascending order--either ascending on the first field or the second--if the values in the second are unique.

You may want to consider alternative methods than using a value list so that you can get the descending sort order--a portal of values where you select one by clicking the portal row is often used in such cases.

• 3. Re: Referencing external files
              BryanN

Hmmmm, your screen shot shows neither "job" nor "test Report". I must assume that a Work Order is also a "job" and that your test report would be based on the data in "clean_test".

If there is any data in Customers not also present in Work_Orders that you need to include in your test report, then yes, you will need an occurrence of customers linked to work_orders.

You may find it simpler to import Clean_Test TABLE--not the table occurrence into your original database and keep all tables in the same file.

The only things we will reallly need to access from customers is the company name, other than that, the 'job/work order' has all the info we need.  So I'll need to include 'customers' in the graph?  

And what value list is that? If this is a value list that uses the "Specify values from a field" option, then your only possible order is ascending order--either ascending on the first field or the second--if the values in the second are unique.

You may want to consider alternative methods than using a value list so that you can get the descending sort order--a portal of values where you select one by clicking the portal row is often used in such cases.

My bad, wrong thread.  see this thread:" Trimming Down " a Value List

• 4. Re: Referencing external files
                philmodjunk

Yes, you will need to add an occurrence of the customers field or you could put either Clean_Test or an occurrence of it in your other database file and do everything in that file.