3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 2:49 PM by philmodjunk

Refresh Layout after closing popup?

EP

Title

Refresh Layout after closing popup?

I have a dashboard containing a few portals on it.  Users can click a record and a popup displaying the related record appears with editable fields.  I am trying to get the dashboard layout to refresh when the popup is closed because based on what the user edits in the popup, the portals filter records.  Currently, I have to close the popup and click somehwere on the layout to refresh the portals.  Any way to do this automatically? Thanks

• 1. Re: Refresh Layout after closing popup?
          philmodjunk

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can set up a custom menu for the pop up window's layout where close window performs a script that closes the pop up window and then does a commit record or commit records | Refresh Window in addition to closing the window.

If you have FileMaker 12, you can also set up an "OnWindowClose trigger in File Options that performs a similar script, but in this case, your code has to check window names to be sure it should do the update steps.

• 2. Re: Refresh Layout after closing popup?
            EP

I DO have advanced.  Any good links out there or demo files demostrating this?  I have never set up a custom menu.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Refresh Layout after closing popup?
              philmodjunk

Take a look at the layouts and custom menus set up with the Known Bugs List database. They don't refresh a window, but they do show how to set up a custom menu to be performed when a window is closed. You'd just need to include those added steps in the close window script.