2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 10:19 AM by cocoa777

Refresh List View?

cocoa777

Title

Refresh List View?

Hi,

I have a list view that has a sub summary section.  The layout is displaying Employee timesheet information on the sub summary part and the body part is one or many timesheet lines.  The display is Such As:

Smith, John            Pay Period 4            Waiting Supervisor Approval                 (Timesheet) Sub summary Leading
                   account 123           regular hours      40                                               (TimesheetLine)   Body
                   account 456           regular hours      40                                               (TimesheetLine)   Body
                   account 456           overtime              5                                                (TimesheetLine)   Body
                                                        total hours: 85                                                Sub summary Trailing

The layout, is being filtered with a script that find Timesheets for a given pay period and sorts them by the employee's name.  The sub summary lines are grouping on the employee's names.

From this layout, you can click to go to the Timesheet detail layout where you can enter the Timesheet information.  The trouble I am having is that when a user goes to the Timesheet details and adds new lines and then closes the detail window this underlying layout does not get refreshed to reflect the added lines unless I do my full filter script which takes too much time to do the complete find and sort.  However, When the user deletes lines from the detail window this underlying layout removes the lines automatically on it's own.  Why the difference between the deleting and adding lines.  I tried to refresh the window and flush cache but no luck.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

thanks!

• 1. Re: Refresh List View?
          philmodjunk

Deleting a record deletes it from the table. Thus, it disappears everywhere and immediately.

Adding a record adds it to the table, but nothing happens to tell FileMaker it should be added to the current found set of your report automatically--in some cases this would be undesirable depending on the needs of the users.

A suggestion, would be to set your script to create the new record in your original window and enter the employee's ID first, then popup a window for entering data into that new record. That approach should avoid the delays in repeating the find and sort on your system after a new record is added.

• 2. Re: Refresh List View?
            cocoa777

Ah, ok I understand that now.  Thats a good way to do it.

thanks phil