5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

refreshing a layout

andy_man

Title

refreshing a layout

Hi

I am working with a form that has two tables and a one to many relationship between the tables.  The form works fine but occasionally the related table Layout does not refresh properly. This becomes an issue when I run an export script as the script can only reference the layout.

Questions

Is there a Go To table script rather than just a Go to Layout? How in FM do It access the tables directly rather than just a Layout??  The Layout appears to just be a "View" of the table to me   correct??

Is there a refresh Layout command that I can add to my script before the Go to Layout command runs so that I get the latest table values?

Has anyone else experienced these issues??

• 1. Re: refreshing a layout
          philmodjunk

Is there a Go To table script rather than just a Go to Layout?

No, but I agree that it would be a good idea and suggested this myself recently: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/56b3613440

A layout specifies a Table Occurrence in Layout Setup | Show Records From. This table occurrence establishes the context for the layout and any scripts that are performed while that layout is selected. Every Table Occurrence has its own found set, current record an sort order.

See this thread to learn more about TO's: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

Is there a refresh Layout command that I can add to my script before the Go to Layout command runs so that I get the latest table values?

You shouldn't need to do this. You can't refresh the layout before you access it, but you can use Refresh Window afterwards. But changing layouts should trigger a refresh as part of the change in layouts so it is not clear to me why this isn't working for you.

• 2. Re: refreshing a layout
            RickWhitelaw

Simply clicking outside a fiield in a layout should refresh it, no?

• 3. Re: refreshing a layout
              philmodjunk

Clicking outside a field commits records and this should update the current layout. But if you change layouts, this also commits records and hence I am puzzled as to why Andy is having the problem that he is reporting here.

• 4. Re: refreshing a layout
                andy_man

Thanks for the reply

I think I figuerd out the problem although I am not sure why this function is built into Filemaker Pro. It seems that when I save a copy of my filemaker file the "Show All" icon toggles off for all layouts. I then have to go into each layout and toggle the "Show all" back on and then copy the file to my iPad.

I wander what the "show all" function is for as I can't think why one would not have this on all the time and I have not figure out  how it is getting toggled off??? The icon greys out once it is turned back on.....      If I don't go through this process every time the file is loaded onto my iPad; the copy on my iPad exports old "unrefreshed" data from a related table layout  when using my export to excel script.

Problem solved for now but not understanding why this is occuring???  I am new to Filemaker...

• 5. Re: refreshing a layout
                  philmodjunk

What do you mean by "show all"? Show all Records? This is only enabled if you do not already have all records in your layout's found set. This would then not be a layout refresh issue but rather a case of needing to properly manage what found set is present for each layout.

There are many, many ways that a found set can be modified so you'd need to figure out what action is changing your found set from a subset of the found set to all records (which will then appear to disable "all records".)