It would help to know the relationships on which the portals are based. Try adding the option 'Flush cached join results' to the Refresh Window  step. If that doesn't help, provide an explanation that would enable us to reproduce the issue.
Hey, thanks for the comment. I've tried checking off what you mentioned but that didn't help. I ended up not having to use that layout so it's a non-issue for now but it didn't seem like a problem that would have to do how the relationships are set up.
I have found this to also to be the case, in the end i just had a refesh List script which I call when this is a problem refresh Window[Flush cashed join results;Flush cached external data] Go to Field