10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 10:55 AM by philmodjunk

Regarding in preview mode

samarthmkt

Title

Regarding in preview mode

Dear Sir,

I am getting problem in preview mode while go for print of selected layout.s I select the record from contact list and go for print ,record shows as per selection in browser mode but in preview mode its showing the very first record of the contact list layout field. Another if we sort the record in quick find of any required record and if there are five records of the same name but of other different values than also its preview the first record of the same record name of sort set. Here is small rar for the same.

Specially I work in envelope layout and get this error

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgwwp16gp8m2q0a/Contacts%20-%20Copy.rar

Thanks

• 1. Re: Regarding in preview mode
          SteveMartino

I just noticed this in another thread where I was helping someone with a recipe DB.  Preview mode was not showing the record I was on, but when I printed it, the correct record printed.

If you pull up a found set of records, and they show the wrong records in Preview, do they print the correct records?  If they do, it must be some setting i'm not aware of, or some bug.  I checked 3 databases I made and they all show the correct record in preview.

Hopefully someone else may have some insight.

• 2. Re: Regarding in preview mode
            RickWhitelaw

It's not necessary to go to Preview Mode to print. The only time I use Preview Mode is to see how a record or layout will appear when printed. IOW I don't care which record is displayed.

• 3. Re: Regarding in preview mode
              SteveMartino

I agree...but why doesn't it show the proper record (the record the user is on)?

• 4. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                philmodjunk

To repeat what I posted in the other thread: Preview is a "Records being Browsed" sort of thing. It previews ALL the records in your current set, not just the current record. This can cause confusion when your current record is the 20th record in the found set and you enter preview, only to see data nothing like what was on your screen in Browse mode.

If you then click the "book" control in the upper left part of the status tool bar, you'll find that you can advance forward and back through all the pages of what you would get if you printed using the "records being browsed" option.

I've sometimes used a script that isolates the current record in a found set of just one record before entering preview mode in order to avoid such confusion.

• 5. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                  BruceRobertson

An alternative is to open the current record in a new window, making sure to select that record only, and preview there. You can attach a script trigger to close the window when exiting preview mode.

• 6. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                    philmodjunk

Unless your new window has a found set of one record, the same preview result will be produced.

• 7. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                      BruceRobertson

"making sure to select that record only"

• 8. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                        philmodjunk

Which would depend on what you mean by "select that record". wink

It is, after all, already "selected" in the current window and this makes no difference in how preview works.

If you mean by "selecting" that this record is now in a found set of a single record, then yes, Preview will now preview the current record as it is now the ONLY record and this has the advantage of leaving your current found set in your original window unchanged.

• 9. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                          RickWhitelaw

The "book" control, in my experience, almost never works as expected. I don't know why. I basically avoid Preview Mode.

• 10. Re: Regarding in preview mode
                            philmodjunk

Strange, it's always worked for me, but it's important to realize that in Browse mode, it changes the current record one record at a time, but in Preview mode it changes pages one page at a time...