3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 8:12 AM by TSGal

Register banc movements

Socio.t

Title

Register banc movements

Hello everyone,

I'm tryng to make a database for my home budget management.

The idea I got was to make a table to the different kind of documents I usually have and then have all this to register in a central table, having them to increase or reduce my budget.

I thought I will have supplier invoices, like water and electricity that I can easily identify the supplier and have these regular movements. Then I will have current expenses that should work.

My point is that I don't know how connet this tables into the movement tables since they don't have a direct relationship.

Is there a way to automatically register values is the central "movement table" everytime I insert a register in the "invoice table" or "current expense table"?

I'm burning my brain over this. Maybe I got to complicated on something simple.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Best regards,

Socio

• 1. Re: Register banc movements
          TSGal

Socio.t:

Thank you for your post.

If you want to add "different kind of documents" to a central table, you will then need to create a common "key" field to link the tables together.  For each document, you may want to create an "ID" field, and also add an "ID" field to your "central table".  At any time, you can enter an "ID" into your "central table", and it will link to the appropriate document.  You can then perform the desired calculations to increase or reduce your budget.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Register banc movements
            Socio.t

Hello TSGal,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I can understand the point that the tables must be connected in some way. I'll try to 1. connect them by doc number (serial key) or if posible 2. connect each document to a movement number (serial key). The possibility #2 it's the one I like the best.

Even though my doubt persists. How do I make these movements register there without inserting them directly in the main database?

What I want to do is that a regular user creates this invoices or any other documents and some how this adds a records to the movement table. If I just relate the tables through the serial number they will be connected but wont fill the right information where I need it. Or will it do it with some script?

I hope I'm getting to point here. This will be an important step for me.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll start by creating the relationships in the tables and see how that works for me.

Best regards,

Socio

• 3. Re: Register banc movements
              TSGal

Socio.t:

Thank you for the clarification.

Since a person can have many invoices, you can have all your invoices in a separate file, with a link back to the customer database, so you know which invoices belong to which customer.  These invoices are not inserted directly into the main database, but merely linked.  You are on the right track, and once you set up your relationships, things will become clearer.

If you still run into difficulty, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.