8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 8:47 AM by ESA09

Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution

gingergrrl

Title

Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution

Hello All:

I am working with FM9 Advanced, using a starter solution called "Registrations". I want to use the Script mentioned above to show a different set of information, it is working with one exception. Both scripts display data on a Portal, from the same table on to the same layout, when the record is written, it shows in the correct portal, but a blank line is written into the other portal(when you delete the blank line the correct record deletes as well).  I have stepped through each script with the debugger, but don't understand (and don't see) where the script is getting the information to write to both portals? I have also checked that the field mappings are correct... if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, I have been going in circles for hours and only have a few strands of hair left - many thanks Karen

• 1. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
          TSGal

gingergrrl:

Thank you for your post.

I just created a new Registration database from the templates provided.

Without knowing what steps you took, can you tell me which script is executed?  Or, what button do you press on which layout? Any additional information you can provide (like a real example) will help me narrow down the culprit.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
            ESA09

I am having the same problem with the registration script, but only when I use imported data (not when I create new records in the starter solution template). 

Is there a way that I can post an example file to this message board or can I email them to you or post to another webpage?

I have created two examples - one with manually entered records (for which the registration script works perfectly) and one with the exact same records imported (I exported the data from the manually entered db into a csv file and then imported that csv file into a new db).  The db with the imported records displays a blank line, although it is apparent that the contact is still being registered for the event (if we look at the layout view "Attendee List Report" four blank lines appear, corresponding to four registrations). Any thoughts on how to get the names and registrations to appear?  I really appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
              TSGal

ESA09:

Thank you for your post.

Are you importing into the Contacts table? Registrations table?  Do the fields include the Event ID or Contact ID?  Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

If you have any screen shots that you can post to a web server, you can link to them in a post.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
                ESA09

Thanks, TGal.  I am importing into both the Events Table and the Contacts Table.  The imported fields do not include the Even ID or Contact ID.  I imported the following fields into the "Events" Table:

Name

Contact Name 

I imported the following fields into the "Contacts" Table:

First Name

Last Name

I have posted some screenshots here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/35288090@N03/?saved=1 

Thank you!! 

• 5. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
                  TSGal

ESA09:

I'm not sure where to begin.

I entered a Event Name of Tea Party, Location of Backyard, Contact Name of Samantha and nothing else displays, just like the import.  I'm don't know how you got Elmo and Daffy Duck to appear manually, unless you entered them.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
                    ESA09

Thanks for the message.  Maybe I didn't explain completely enough.  I used the button "New Registration" to populate the list of attendees.  This worked well in the manually entered DB, but blank lines appeared when I used the DB with imported data.

In the manually entered DB (in which I've manually entered an a "Name", "Location" and "Contact Name" in the layout "Form view - Events" and "First Name" and "Last Name" in the layout "Form view - Contacts"), I clicked on the "New Registration" button in layout "Form view - Events" to register Elmo for the event of Tea Party.

When I click on the "New Registration" button, I am taken to a different screen and I click on the contact's name (in this case Elmo).  After I click on the Elmo's name, Elmo is added to the portal in the registration tab.  I repeated this procedure for Daffy Duck, so that there were two contacts registered for this event.  When I switch views to layout "Form view - Contacts" and select the registration tab for Elmo and for Daffy Duck, I see the event name of "Tea Party" in the portal in the registration tab.

If, however, I repeat this procedure using the DB with imported data, the contact names do not appear in the portals in the layout "Form view - Events" and the events do not appear in the portals in the registration tab in the layout "Form view - contacts".  I think that the contacts are being registered for the events but their names are not showing up for some reason (which I do not know).  When I switch to layout "Attendee List Report", I can see the lines of exactly the number of contacts I tried to register, but no names appear in this list.

Did that help clear things up? 

Many thanks. 

• 7. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
                      Sorbsbuster

Just a wild stab: when you do the maunal import, are:

- all the field name lined up correctly in the right and left panes?

and

- are all the little arrows turned on to register that that field is to be imported?

Alan.

• 8. Re: Register the Current Contact for an Event - Script Problem - Starter Solution
                        ESA09

Thanks to all for your help.  Turns out the solution was pretty simple and just an oversight on my part.  When I imported the data, I had to make sure to check the box that said "Perform auto-enter options while importing (modification date, serial number, lookups, etc.)".  That did the trick.

<!-- EndFragment -->