2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 7:20 PM by kfun

Registration Database - with or without tables

kfun

Title

Registration Database - with or without tables

Hi!

I am a new user of Filemaker Pro 10. I am using it on a Vista operating system.

What I would like to do is set up a database with Participants who participate in Events. My thought is to create two tables: Participants (with name, address) and Events (several different seminars - two or three a year) and link them. I want to keep track of who participated in what event. 

Participants Table:

First Name

Last Name

Address

Events (linked with Event ID)

Events Table:

Event ID (linked with Events)

Description

Fee

I set up a portal and got one event to show up in my participant's record - not sure how I did it and can't get anymore to show up.

Two questions: Is this two table set up the most effective way to organize my data? And how can I get multiple events to show up on each participant's record?

Appreciate any help I can get.

• 1. Re: Registration Database - with or without tables
          philmodjunk

Since a participant can attend more than one event and more than one particpant will attend a given event, you need a third table:

Participants---<Registration>---Events

Participants:: ParticpantID = Registration:: ParticpantID

Events::EventID = Registration::EventID

You can define additional fields in Registration to document the status of a participant's registration. (Have they paid yet, did they actually attend, etc.)

Place a portal to Registration on the Participants layout and add fields from Events to the portal as needed and you have a list of all events for which a participant has registered. Place a portal to Registration on the Events layout with fields from Participants added and you have a list of participants for that event.

• 2. Re: Registration Database - with or without tables
            kfun

Thanks! Creating the linking table sorted out my difficulty.