2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 8:27 AM by TurtleKoala

Reinserting OLEs as files

TurtleKoala

Title

Reinserting OLEs as files

I am using FileMaker 11. I am working with a database that has a lot (around 10000) of PDFs and Word documents that were inserted to container fields using "Insert Object..." The reason that "Insert Object..." was used and not "Insert File..." was because when they were inserted as files, the only way to open them was by first exporting the file and then opening it from wherever it was exported to. Now, FileMaker is starting to discontinue support of OLEs, which is what I believe is inserted to the container field when you use "Insert Object..."

I want to update the database so that all of the files are stored as embedded files, but there are a few issues.

1) The people using the database want to be able to open the files by double clicking them, and I am not sure how to make this possible.

2) Inserting the files into the containers as a reference is not an option. Many of the peole using the database do not have access to the inserted files on their own computers, and also they want to be able to open the files in Filemaker GO.

3) I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of reinserting 10,000 files manually, and I probably don't have access to many of the folders where these files are stored, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the files are not even on the network.

Assuming that I want to switch to embedded files, is there some way to automate the process of reinserting the files?

Thanks,

TK

• 1. Re: Reinserting OLEs as files
          philmodjunk

1) Add a button that uses export field contents to open the file.

3) I don't know of any way to automate the exporting of inserted objects from container fields. If I were you, I'd research plugins and other 3rd party tools--maybe a macro utility that can record the mouse actions of double clicking the container field to see if anything is possible.

• 2. Re: Reinserting OLEs as files
            TurtleKoala

Thanks. The button idea sounds like it should work for me. I'll do some more research into reinserting the objects. I imagine that any solution I find will be somewhat painful, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks,

TK