2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 7:25 PM by JamesRyel

Related fields on different forms

JamesRyel

Title

Related fields on different forms

Using FM Pro 11, how do I make a field on one form automatically show the information in another field on another form.  I want them to relate to each other.  As I said, these are forms not databases.   Thank you.

• 1. Re: Related fields on different forms
          philmodjunk

But the data isn't stored in forms(we call them layouts). It's stored in a table made accessible by the table occurrence specified as the "basis" or "context" for the current layout. This is specified by selecting a Table Occurrence from "Show Records From" in Layout Setup. A table occurrence is what we call the boxes found in the relationships graph (Manage | Database | relationships).

Your layouts might be based on the same table occurrences or different table occurrences. If two different table occurrences, they might both refer to the same data source table (table as found in Manage | Database | tables) or different data source tables.

So you'll need to tell us what table occurrences are set up as the basis for each of these two layouts and, if they are different table occurrences, whether they are linked in relationships or not and whether they have the same data source table or not.

For more about table occurrences, see: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 2. Re: Related fields on different forms
            JamesRyel

Thank you very much.  It worked.  Your link was all I needed.