1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 8:32 AM by mgores

Related Files, Portals and New records

Bermudianna

Title

Related Files, Portals and New records

I am using Filemaker Pro Version 6.

I have two databases:

1. Master File: Client information with a layout for sick days which pulls the information from my Related File

2. Related File: Sick Day information

So, I have a relationship between the two based on Employee Id.  I have a portal on my Master File to show the many records per employee id (i.e. one employee may have many sick days so they are listed in this portal).  I then have calculations in my master file summing up totals of hours out, days out etc.

It is all working fine except when I enter a time and date in an employees record, it calculates fine, but if i delete the information it continues to say that one day has been taken sick.  I have the calculating fields set to "not calculate if referenced fields are empty" but it is still saying that a day has been taken.  How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
          philmodjunk

If you reply back to you earlier post, you can continue the discussion of your project without having to redescribe the basic issue each time.

Please post your calculation. I don't see why your calculation is counting a sick day even though you are "deleting the information". And how are you deleting this informaiton? Are you deleting the entire related record or clearing a field?

• 2. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
            Bermudianna

Ok. 

I think the issue is that I am simply clearing a field.  The calculations are showing that a sick day is taken because by putting information into the portal field, it is creating a record in my related file.  Thereby automatically saying there is a day taken.  How can I delete a related record while in the Master file? 

• 3. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
              Bermudianna

Sorry the calculations for my Related file are below:

Hours Out Sick = If(Time Out ≤  Begin Work,"6.75",If(Time Out ≤ TextToTime("2:15:00 PM"),(((End Work - Time Out)/3600)-1.25),((End Work - Time Out)/3600)))

Begin Work = TextToTime("9:00:00 AM")

End Work = TextToTime("5:00:00 PM")

• 4. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                philmodjunk

Do you have a portal to the related records?

1. If so, double click the portal while in layout mode to open portal setup...
                2. Enable the "Allow deletion of portal records" option.
                3. Adjust the size of your portal to make room for a small button you put inside the portal row and set it up to perform the step: "Delete portal row".
                4. When you delete the portal row, you are deleting the related record in the other file.
                • 5. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                  Bermudianna

Ok I did that and it deleted the client from my master file....

• 6. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                    Bermudianna

And now becauase I have to enter the information again the serial number employee ID is saying that we are a few ahead...

• 7. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                      philmodjunk

The button should be fully inside the portal, not on the layout.

You can open up define fields, find your employeeID and update the next serial number setting before trying again to create the new employee record. (On the other hand, no harm is done by being a number or two ahead in the series, this value is simply a unique identifier.)

• 8. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                        Bermudianna

I have checked that it is fully inside the portal line and it is still deleting the Employee rather than just the one related record.

I have checked the button is set to "delete portal row"... Maybe I have something wrong with the way my portal is set up? 

• 9. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                          philmodjunk

What option did you select for the button?

Don't see any way to mess up the portal setup, but you do need to be careful to make sure your relationship is linking to the other file and not linking to the Master File here.

Oh, one other thing to check. In your relationship from the new related file to the master file, make sure that you didn't enable the option that deletes the employee record everytime you delete a record in the new file. Open the related file, go to define relationships and make sure that "When deleting a record in this file, also delete related records" is not selected. (Note: I don't have a copy of FileMaker 6, but do have a copy for 5.5. I'm hoping version 6 has the same dialog here that 5.5 does. You may find some differences.)

• 10. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                            Bermudianna

FIXED!  Thank you Phil!!!!

Just as you said, I had the "when deleting a record in this file, also delete related records" selected in my related file.

Thank you a million times over!

• 11. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                              Bermudianna

New question about this Version 6 software. 

I have a few pdf documents that I would like to add into my records.  When I do a 'container' field and then right click I get the options to "insert picture', "insert quicktime" or "record sound".

Is there a way of inserting a pdf to view from that page or to just reference it?

• 12. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                                philmodjunk

Sounds like you should upgrade as this is not easy to do in your version.

Insert Picture may work, you'll have to try it and see.

You might be able to store the filename and file path in a text field and use Open URL to open the file.

• 13. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                                  mgores

I seem to remember from FM6 that insert quicktime would work for pdf files too.  You won't be able to view it from filemaker, but using the open URL Phil described should get it to open.

• 14. Re: Related Files, Portals and New records
                                    Bermudianna

Ok.  Thank you both.  I can insert a pdf by either picture or quicktime.  The Quicktime then shows the many pages as though it were a video.  The picture just shows the pdf.  Unfortunately there either is not, or I cannot find, a way to 'Open URL' to open the file.  No matter.  

Phil, I definitely agree with you that it is time we upgrade, unfortunately it is not my decision but the company's. :)

One more question:  I have a related field with a drop down value list in my related file.  I have that related field in a portal in my master file.  However, when i am in the master file, I do not have that option of a drop down value list.  Do I have to input the data in the master file or is there a way to link those value lists?

Thanks again!

1 2 Previous Next