3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 1:43 PM by philmodjunk

Related post has to be "activated" before showing in portal

MartinWikner

Title

Related post has to be "activated" before showing in portal

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new at Filemaker, but am making progress, even though I don't always understand how I mangaged to do some things. I ain't able to quite verbalize my issue so I haven't ben able find a solution on the net for it either.

I'm a teacher and in my database, I basically have the relationship: Class --< Student --< Corrected assignment >--Assignment

In my Class layout (Class) I have a portal showing the related assignments. They show as long as I have created at least 1 Corrected assignment record for an assignment, but if I have just created the assignment it won't show up in the portal.

Is there an easy way to make this happen, should it already be happening or is the database doomed?

Martin

• 1. Re: Related post has to be "activated" before showing in portal
          philmodjunk

Your relationships would need to change before an assignment record that is not linked to student via a corrected assignment record. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to set up your system with a script to automatically create records in corrected assignment when you create a new assignment record for a specific class (or subject).

• 2. Re: Related post has to be "activated" before showing in portal
            MartinWikner

Thanks!

That's a good idea and I did that with attendance. If I cannot make it any other way I guess I'll go with it, but I would prefer if the teacher created every correced assignment individually so I wouldn't have any "empty" corrected assignments. What would you say would be the keyword for figuring out how to change the relationship if I would go with that? Can it be fixed with another Table occurrence, for example?

• 3. Re: Related post has to be "activated" before showing in portal
              philmodjunk

The problem I see with that is that for many teaching environments, you really do need that many to many relationship as a given assignment can be assigned to many students and a given student will be assigned many different assignments.

As someone who tried their hand at teaching for a few years, I'd actually prefer that "empty" corrected assignments record. That empty record would document the fact (and the date) that the assignment was assigned to a specific student. (It's not uncommon for some assignments to not be assigned to all students. Some may, for example, be extra credit projects.) Fields within the record would then be updated to record relevant info about that assignment (such as a score or grade) that would also indicate that the assignment was turned in and corrected.