4,4199e+09 is scientific notation for 4,419942004. 4.4199 x 10 to the 9th power. Thus, this looks like a number field that also contains text.
Is this a text field or a number field when you check field types in Manage | Database | fields?
Or is it a calculation field? If so, what return type is specified when you open up the calculation in the Specify Calculation Dialog box?
No is i really a text field. Only the FK in the join table is a number. It only happens to this related record. In preview lay-out it appears normal.
I performed the following tests:
It seems the problem is not in the related record itself but in the portal. But why only in one related record.... and I have so may similar related records that contain text and numbers in one field....
- Duplicated the related record and changed "44 Ausstellungen 1994-2004" to "4 Ausstellungen 1994-2004". Then it appears as 41992004.
- Changed "44 Ausstellungen 1994-2004" to "Ausstellungen 1994-2004 3". That appeared as 19942003. [so only the numbers]
- Changed "44 Ausstellungen 1994-2004" to "Ausstellungen 1994-2004". This appeared as it should!!!!!
- Made new record and entered "4 Ausstellungen 1994-2004". That appeared as "4,4199e+09"
I still think that this is a number field with text and numbers in it instead of a field of type text.
I recommend that you check again. Use Manage | Database | Fields to check the field type and make sure that the field definition you are checking is the correct one for the field in your portal.
Or maybe the index has become corrupted. Might be worth a go at rebuilding it.
I was able to reproduce this. See images below. Both the first and last fields are of type number, not text. Both have "general" data formatting. But in the bottom field, I first changed the data format to decimal, saved layout changes and then changed it back to general. Even though this returns the data format to "general" the same as the first field, the field now ignores all text and just displays the number, and in scientific notation. The second image shows what you see when you click or tab into the bottom field.
I can get it to show both text and numbers if I either change the data forma to "as entered" or change the field's data type to "text" as it should be defined for this field in the first place.
Solved! Very impressed that you have been able to reproduce it!
- I checked again, but the field is really formatted for text. It has always been.
- I use a valuelist in the portal to link related records. Since I use a valuelist it is possible to change the 'data format'. A valuelist seems to be considered as a kind of a 'number' That means that 'data format' is not only for date, time, container and regular numbers....
- By choosing 'as entered' instead of 'general' it solved the problem.
"formatted" for text? I'm not describing a format but a data type specified in Manage | Database | Fields.
Is this a value list that enters an ID number, but displays the text from a secondary field and you have specified that the value list hide values from the ID field column in the value list? And this is a Pop Up Menu?
If so, this is a number field like I have suspected from the beginning.
Yes. You are absolutely right! Thank you for correcting me!