2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 3:25 PM by akahanka

Related Records

akahanka

Title

Related Records

Hi,  Is there a good way to link individual records with a click to go to button?  I am not understanding if portals are the way to go.

ie) my database is sculptures (over 2,000 works), one sculpture may have different versions (different color or media) with different names, I have a field with "see also" where I put the names of the other sculptures, but have not found a good way to search and pull up all the versions at once.

Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: Related Records
          Sorbsbuster

Hi, akahanka, and welcome to the forum!

If I understand your problem correctly, you have done all the hard work already.  I apologise for the crudeness of my example:

- You have a 'Name' field.  Let's say in this record it contains 'Orange'.

- You have in that record a field named 'SeeAlso'.  It contains the return-character-separated data:

- Clementine

- Seville

- Mandarin

- Satsuma

- In the file you have somewhere 4 other records, each whose 'Name' field contains 'Clementine', 'Seville', etc

- If you make a relationship between the 'SeeAlso' field in the table and a self-join to the field 'Name', you can put a portal on each record which for every record ( 'Name' ) will show a portal displaying all the records you have suggested a link to via your 'SeeAlso' field.

- From that portal you can put a button on the portal row which can take the user to the detailed record for that 'Name'.

It is not always appreciated - but dashed useful - that Filemaker relationships can also work by matching return-separated lists at either end of the relationship.

HTH,

Alan

• 2. Re: Related Records
            akahanka

Thank you Alan,

Now I know that using a portal is the right approach and will see if I can make it happen!

Best,

Angela