AnsweredAssumed Answered

Related records - am I missing something?

Question asked by LeahLoughran on Sep 4, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Related records - am I missing something?

I'm really new to FMP so I think I'm missing a major chunk of knowledge that will help me solve my problem.

I understand how to create relationships in the database, but I'm having some confusion about actually creating the related records with the user being able to reference a related record by name, not by actually having to choose a serial number. In other words, I want to hide the auto generated serial numbers, but still enable the user to create related records.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, so I'll give a simple example.

Let's say I have two tables, "Companies" and "Employees". Each company has many employees (a one-to-many relationship). So in my Companies table, my fields could be "CompanyID" and "CompanyName". In my Employee table, my fields could be "EmployeeID", "EmployeeName", and "CompanyID". Like this:

Companies

•           CompanyID
  •      
  •           CompanyName

Employees

•           EmployeeID
  •      
  •           Employee Name
  •      
  •           CompanyID

Then I create a relationship between Companies::CompanyID and Employees::CompanyID.

But then, while the user creates a new Employee record, they will have to choose a company ID (serial number) to relate that employee to? i.e., if I'm creating a record for "Joe", I have to enter it so Joe works at company "3219" instead of "Microsoft"? Is there some way to relate the records without the user having to choose the serial number? I feel like I'm totally missing something, but I just don't see the answer.

Help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Outcomes