5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 10:03 AM by philmodjunk

Related Table field display

brian.bentley

Title

Related Table field display

I have got a rather large table for student information (Student Records). I have a related table for email address that is related by student number. In the email table I have a place for emails and what type of email it is (student, custodial father, custodial mother, etc.) I have also created calculation fields that show the certain type in another fashion (ie. If ( type = "All Family" ; email ; If ( type = "student 1" ; Student 1 ; "" ) ) ). All this works just fine and you can see the individual calculation fields show up in the email talbe. However, when I then try to place those calculation fields in a layout in the main database of student records, only the first field will show up. Nothing shows up for the other calculation fields when placed in a Student Records layout. I want to show the different types of email addresses in different places on the information form layout.

Any help?

Thanks!

Brian Bentley

• 1. Re: Related Table field display
          philmodjunk

When you place records from a related table on the layout, only data from the first related table will show. In your first related record, only one of the calculation fields will show data as the other calculation fields in that same record are empty. If I understand your descriptions correctly, the other data you want to show is from other related records than that first related record. (If you put an unsorted, unfiltered portal on your layout, the record in the first row should show the same data that you are seeing on your individual fields.

You'll need to use either multiple relationships where each relationship matches to a different email type for each student or a bunch of different filtered one row portals where each portal filter filters for a different email type.

• 2. Re: Related Table field display
            brian.bentley

PhilModJunk,

Thanks for your help.

If I filter a portal where I want only the records where the field "type" is "all family", "custodial parents", and "custodial father", how do I create a calculation to do that? I tried emails::type = "custodial father"  or  emails::type = "all family" or emails::type =  "custodial parents" but it returned nothing. I obviously am having trouble understanding how operators work.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

• 3. Re: Related Table field display
              philmodjunk

What you have tried should work. Make sure that Emails::Type is defined as a field of type Text and not Number.

As another check, temporarily remove the portal filter and check to see what appears in the portal. Without the filter, you should get all the related records for that student. If it's empty, you have some other issue involved such as an incorrect relationship or wrong/missing data in match fields rather that a portal filter problem.

• 4. Re: Related Table field display
                brian.bentley

Thank you so much. Making sure it was all carefully entered seemed to correct the problem.

Brian

• 5. Re: Related Table field display
                  philmodjunk

Making sure it was all carefully entered seemed to correct the problem.

That would suggest that you need to use a value list to ensure consistent data entry.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking