AnsweredAssumed Answered

Related Tables problem - duplicating data

Question asked by KateRancourt on May 30, 2011
Latest reply on May 31, 2011 by KateRancourt

Title

Related Tables problem - duplicating data

I'm new to FMP and have been playing around with my database for a couple of weeks. I'm having major issues with the relationships aspect. 

Basically, I'm doing a research study and need to have a bunch of different tables related through ID, and I will need certain information pulled from related tables and added to others.  I know there is something wrong with my relationships graph, just not sure what.  The relationship is partially working, but in other ways it isn't. 

I want the 'Contact Info' table to be the #1 "storage table" for the ID number of each participant. When I enter data there, as expected, everything is fine. When I then go to the "Phenotype" table to enter data, a few things happen:

1) When I enter the ID number of a participant, it isn't pulling data from the fields I want in the Contact Info table. I have added related fields onto the Phenotype layout that are set up to be displaying information from the Contact Info table (e.g. name_last, name_first, DOB, address), but it isn't happening. So really, I have to double-enter data that I already have stored in the Contact Info table.

2) When I add this data in the Phenotype table, it's creating a new record in the Contact Info table, so I end up having 2 records of the same person there.  But when I delete one of those records from the Contact Info table, it deletes them BOTH.  So the relationship is kind of working in that respect?

Hopelessly lost on how to fix my issue. The ID numbers are unique for each participant, so I'm not sure why FMP isn't able to pull information based solely on that related field. Any further solutions to fix my graph would be appreciated.

Untitled.jpg

Outcomes