AnsweredAssumed Answered

related tables, table occurences, layout, and value list question

Question asked by JasonO'Berry on Mar 28, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

related tables, table occurences, layout, and value list question

Hi everyone, 

I'm having a hard time trying to understand the relationships between table occurences, portals, layouts, and conditional value lists. I understand them all individually but when combined they are throwing me for a loop. 

From reading posts here and elsewhere, it seems that a value list attached to a field in a portal need be shown on a layout that is related to the portal table occurence. I was doing some cleanup in a solution and made some changes to clean up 4 or 5 different relationships i had stemming from my invoice table. I created a new table occurence of invoice details  (did not create a relationship between original invoice table and new invoice details TO) and readded the relationships to this new occurence.

I had remembered something about it needing to be related to the layout I am working on so I started researching. The strange thing is is that it seems to work just the same as it was before I made the changes. But i dont want it to cause problems in the future so I rather get it right the first time. 

Does the layout that I am working on ( invoice with a portal to invoice details) have to have a relationship to the second Invoice Details table occurence for the conditional value list to work correctly.

A clear explanation would be very much appreciated as I dont want a fix, i just want to understand. Thank you much.

Untitled.jpg

Outcomes