1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 8:49 AM by philmodjunk

Relating archaeological layers for a final matrix

thomasfinan

Title

Relating archaeological layers for a final matrix

First time poster here.  I have not been a FM user for a few years, and hence have not kept up on the latest features.  Im hoping this question might be answere with a newer feature that I havent found.

Ive used FM for holding archaeological excavation data.  It works quite well for this, since it can hold plans, images, samples, etc within the database itself in addition to the other text data and check boxes.  No problem setting up the database in that manner.

The final thing that would make this absolutely perfect would be if there was a way to use the layer designations in a relational way in an output chart.  So, for instance, you might have the following:

Layer 1...has five pieces of pottery, and lots of carbon

Layer 2...has a stone wall and some brick work

Layer 3...has three skeletons and seven pieces of pottery

Layer 4...has a stone floor

Within each Layer page I would include data that designates its relationship to the other layers, sort of like this:

Layer 1:  above Layer 2 and 3

Layer 2:  below Layer 1, next to Layer 3, above 4

Layer 3:  below Layer 1, Next to Layer 3

Layer 4:  Below Layer 2

Archaeologists then take this data and create what is called a Harris Matrix, which is essentially like a family tree.  There are applications that make the final Matrix, but all I really would like FM to do is to create a single list of the relations.  I have a feeling there is a way to do this fairly easily, but it escapes me.  Any thoughts appreciated.

• 1. Re: Relating archaeological layers for a final matrix
          philmodjunk

Do the layer numbers have any connection to how they relate to other layers? In you example they appear to though I think you have a typo as I would sincerely hope that Layer 3 is "next to layer 3". wink

Are all the relationships position based?

What format do you need for this data so your "other application" can use it to create the final matrix?

In very general terms, if you have a table of layers with one record for each layer and a serial number to identify each layer uniquely, you can set up a related table for listing the layers to which you want to link it and to describe the nature of that relationship. This new related table can then link to a second occurrence of your Layers table, if needed to show information about each related layer.

Layers----<LayerLinks>-----LinkedLayers (LinkedLayers is an added occurrence of Layers)

Layers::__pkLayerID = LayerLinks::_fkLayerID
               LinkedLayers::__pkLayerID = LayerLinks::_fkLinkedLayerID

A portal to LayerLinks can be put on the Layers table to list all related layers. Fields from LinkedLayers can be added to the portal row to show more info about that layer and _fkLinkdeLayerID can be put in this portal row formatted as a drop down list or pop up menu so that you can select a Layer record to link to the current layer record on your layout.