AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relating databases or repeating fields .Or both

Question asked by AussiePete on Jun 8, 2009
Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 by AussiePete

Title

Relating databases or repeating fields .Or both

Hi  

We have been using a Lotus Approach database of contacts for some time and now I am trying to ship the whole thing over to Filemaker. In the old database we were able to keep a record of any changes (for example, who notified us of email address changes and who made the changes and when the change was made) to the entries. Basically a history of each record. There are over 30000 entries in the database.

That was set up using a related database that recorded the changes and then appeared as part of the main database with all the rest of the individuals record. The relationship was made using a unique code name. 

I am trying to do a similar thing with Filemmaker, but I am quite new to databases in general and have used Filemaker for only a few weeks. 

I am guessing repeating fields have to be part of the deal and relating databases would be in there too, but I have no clue what to do beyond that. I tried to find out in the users guide but did not get the result I need.

If I can have the history as as part of the database without having to use related database it would be good too.

Can anyone help? 

Outcomes