1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 2:36 PM by philmodjunk

Relating Fields in separate databases

AnnaMarieClifton

Title

Relating Fields in separate databases

Hello,

I've inherited some databases from the previous manager in my position and I'm trying to streamline some things. I want to know if I can relate fields from two of our databases so that I don't have to make changes/updates more than once.

We use one database to manage our inventory (2,617 records and constantly changing) and another to manage our consignments in (486 records). All our Consignment records have an entry in out inventory, but not all of our inventory is in on Consignment. I would like to link the “Retail Price” field from the 486 Consignment Records to the “Retail Price” field for those 486 items in our inventory so that every time the price goes up, we only have to change it in one or the other of these databases. 

Is there anyway to do this without recreating the databases?

Thank you,

Anna Marie

• 1. Re: Relating Fields in separate databases
          philmodjunk

Back before FileMaker 7, you could only define one table per file. Thus, FileMaker has long had the ability to establish relationships that link tables in different files.

Do you know how you would set up this relationship if the tables were all in the same file? The method for doing this with tables from external sources is nearly the same.

Open Manage | Databases | Relationships

Click the button at bottom far left to start a new table occurrence

In the Data Source drop down, select Add FileMaker data source. This opens a dialog where you can find and select the other FileMaker file. Once you have selected it, you can select a table from that file and now you have a table occurrence to an external file that you can link to your local tables just like you would another table in the same file.