1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 6:16 AM by Jade

Relating Tables

MarkyMark

Title

Relating Tables

I am fairly new to FileMaker. I am a novice programmer. Here is the issue I'm having using FileMaker 9 Pro Advanced on XP.

I have setup two tables. One table is called Market Profiles - a table containing information about any given city. The other is called Venue Profiles - a table containing information about hotels and such. This is what they look like:

Market Profiles

kMarket_ID - a numeric key generated upon the creation of each City or Town

MarketName - user enters the name of the Town or City

MarketProvState - user enters the name of the Province or State the City is in

Venue Profiles

zMarket_ID - used to relate the two tables

VenueName - user enters the name of the Hotel

VenueCity - user selects the City or Town from a Drop Down List populated by entries in the Market Profiles table

VenueProvState - I want this field to be chosen automatically based on what the user selects for the VenueCity field

This probably is an easy fix, but I can't seem to get my head around how to accomplish it. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. If there's any info I left out, please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: Relating Tables
          Jade

Hi Mark,

Unless you need to keep a duplicate copy of the city and province/state on the Venue Profiles table, this is what I suggest:-

Market

kMarket_ID - a numeric key generated upon the creation of each City or Town

MarketName - user enters the name of the Town or City

MarketProvState - user enters the name of the Province or State the City is in

Venue

kVenue_ID - an auto-enter serial number generated upon creation of the Venue record

zMarket_ID - number field used to relate the two tables

VenueName - user enters the name of the Hotel

Add a value list (Manage>Value Lists… in the File menu) for Cites using values from kMarket_ID and also display values from the second field, MarketName.

On the relationship graph (Manage>Database… in the File menu) draw a relationship between kMarket_ID and zMarket_ID (one-to-many).

On the Venue layout (or Venue portal on the Market layout), add a zMarket_ID field.  Make it a drop-down list using values from Cities.

When the user selects a city from the drop-down list, FMP will put the kMarket_ID value into the zMarket_ID field thereby relating the two records.

Now you can use the fields Market::MarketName and Market::MarketProvState on the Venue layout or portal since they are related fields.  You do not need VenueCity or VenueProvState.

If you're interested in more details on how to set up drop-down lists, here is Phil's tutorial.

Hope this helps…