3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2009 11:58 AM by willem67

relational database

willem67

Title

relational database

Hi,

I have little experience with building relational databases. I studied the manuals and did selfstudy excercices, but the examples were different.

Iwant to build a simple database with names of pieces of art  (4000 records)  and exhibitions (500 records) wherenthese have been exhibited.  I think I need two tables: one with the names of the pieces of art and one with the names of the exhibitions.

In the table of the pieces of art, I would like to be able to enter or select the names of the relevant exhibitions. At the same time I would like the name of the pieces of art to be mirrored in the the respective record of the exhibiotn.

It seems that I need two portals that communicate with each other, though they are not identical. Not every piece of art was in every exhibition.

As field for comparison I could use the name of the exhibition. These should be spelled correctly. I could use a validation list, based on the related field in the related tabele. But what if I change the name of the exhibtion, e.g. due to a spelling mistake. It seems that the change is not reflected back and therefor the mirror is broken. 

Can someone advise me? Is my proposal feasable?

With best regards,

Willem

• 1. Re: relational database
          raybaudi

Hi willelm

You need a Many To Many relationship; one piece of art can have many exhibitions and one exibition can have many pieces of art.

This is solved with a third table ( Exhibition Rows ).

You haven't to use neither names of exibition nor names of pieces of art... you have to use IDs

• 2. Re: relational database
            willem67

Dear Daniele,

This is exactly what I need. I understand the ID's completely. I also understand that I have to make a third join table.

However, I am still wondering how I am going to fill the fields of this third (join) table. In this table I will have the ID's of the pieces of art and exhibitions. Do I have to fill these manually (with risk of mistakes) or can I have this done automatically?

regards,

Willem 

• 3. Re: relational database
              willem67

It works very well now. I took a little while before I understoord that the join table is filled via the portals (if this option is clicked). But now it all makes sense to me.

Thank you very much. 

Willem