AnsweredAssumed Answered

relational database

Question asked by willem67 on Apr 18, 2009
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2009 by willem67

Title

relational database

Hi,

I have little experience with building relational databases. I studied the manuals and did selfstudy excercices, but the examples were different.

Iwant to build a simple database with names of pieces of art  (4000 records)  and exhibitions (500 records) wherenthese have been exhibited.  I think I need two tables: one with the names of the pieces of art and one with the names of the exhibitions.

In the table of the pieces of art, I would like to be able to enter or select the names of the relevant exhibitions. At the same time I would like the name of the pieces of art to be mirrored in the the respective record of the exhibiotn.

It seems that I need two portals that communicate with each other, though they are not identical. Not every piece of art was in every exhibition.

As field for comparison I could use the name of the exhibition. These should be spelled correctly. I could use a validation list, based on the related field in the related tabele. But what if I change the name of the exhibtion, e.g. due to a spelling mistake. It seems that the change is not reflected back and therefor the mirror is broken. 

Can someone advise me? Is my proposal feasable?

With best regards,

Willem

Outcomes