AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relational Database Question

Question asked by DavidMuench on Aug 23, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 by DavidMuench

Title

Relational Database Question

Hello,

I am a principal at a middle school looking to use Filemaker Pro as a tool to house important information for our student assistance team.  I have been able to navigate setting up tables and creating some relationships between them.  As an example, I have an overall "student information" table populated with demographic information exported from our Student Management System.  I have also created a table entitled "Parent Contacts."  I set up a relationship between the student id in the student information table and the student id in the parent contact table.  This is the only field that will be absolutely unique to the student.

My issue is that when someone is logging a parent contact in a form in the "parent contact" table they really aren't going to know off hand the student id.  However, that is the only way I know of to bring over some of the other info from the student information table such as the student's phone number.  Is there a way to have the Student ID be a primary key but also have the last name be a look up key so that they can find the right student and not need to know the student ID number?  When I have tried to relate the last name field it does not seem to work for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you need further clarification please ask.

Thanks,
Dave 

Outcomes