AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relational Quagmire

Question asked by brianquillin on Mar 31, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 by brianquillin

Title

Relational Quagmire

Filemaker Pro 11 Adv. on Mac (currently on my 8th day learning the software)

I'm very new but learning more each day but I'm in a situation where I'm not even sure where to look for the answer.  I've been troubleshooting my dilemma for several hours without finding the solution.  I'll try to be as brief as possible in the description of my problem.

Database for entering information for a Silent Auction - including Buyers, Donors, Items.  I will be creating Receipts (to give to Donors) and Invoices (to give to Buyers).  All is working perfectly EXCEPT the relationship between Items (at center of my relational diagram) and the Line Items for Donated Items TO (same as Line Items).  On the Invoice side, the relationship works perfectly.

On the Receipt side, I cannot enter Items into the portal UNLESS I have the ALLOW & DELETE options selected on both sides of the relationship.  When I have both side of that relationship set to ALLOW & DELETE, then new records are created/deleted in my Items each time I add/delete something to the portal (as I would expect).  When I turn off ALLOW & DELETE on the Items (at center of diagram), then I get an error saying "This operation cannot be performed because one or more required related records are not available and cannot be created."

I'm convinced that I know less about relationships than I previously thought.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Screen_shot_2011-03-31_at_7.58.05_AM.png

Outcomes