Table 1: Product Order

Fields:

1.Description

2.Client ID

Table 2: Client

Fields:

1.Client ID

2.Client Name 

The "Client ID" field of each table are linked with a simple equal relationship.

The "Product Order" table layout displays also the "Client Name" field from table 2. Also this field has a drop-down list that shows its table 1 record values.

When creating a new table 1 record, typing the ID on the Client ID field make the "Client Name" (that cames from table 2) shows the matching name. That's fine.

Now: When I don't know the client ID, I jump to the name field and select a clint name from the drop down-list. Here is the problem!!! The result of selecting an item is a message saying that this field cannot be modified until "Clint ID" is given a valid value.

I stuck on this. How can I make this work? So, when selecting an item from the client name field, the matching ID (that's on the "Table 2" field "Client ID" from same record) is found and automatically entered on the "Client ID" field from "table 1"?

Thanks a lot 

• 1. Re: Relational records problem
          philmodjunk

Format your ClientID field with a two column value list. Column 1 is your ClientID, Column 2 is your client's name. You can hide the first column, if you wish.

If you format the field as a pop-up menu with column 1 hidden, you can even dispense with the client name field as the client name field will appear in your Client ID field even though you are actually entering the client's ID.