4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 1:17 PM by TSGal

relations between two excisting tables and my agenda-table.

gorgyr

Title

relations between two excisting tables and my agenda-table.

I want to make an agenda-table how has the records in it of two tables 'orders' and 'events'. and i also want to have the possibilety to insert new appointments in my agenda 'how must not been insert in the two other tables'. I want work with relations not by import them.

Is there someone how can tell me how i have to do that?

thanks a lot !

• 1. Re: relations between two excisting tables and my agenda-table.
          TSGal

gorgyr:

Thank you for your post.

I am having difficulty understanding your question.

Pull down File menu and select "Manage -> Database...".  Click the "Relationships" tab.  You will now see graphical representations of your tables.  To create a relationship between two tables, find the common field between the two tables, click on one of those fields and drag it to the field in the second table.  When you let go, your tables will now be connected to one another.  Half way between the two tables is now an icon.  Double-click on the icon to edit the relationship.  One table appears on the left side, and the other table appears on the right side.  Since you want to add new appointments to your agenda table, make sure that you select "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" for the side that displays the Agenda table.  Then, when you are in the other table, you can add appointments to the agenda table.

In your layout, add a portal (using the Portal tool) and connect to the agenda table.  You can then add records.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: relations between two excisting tables and my agenda-table.
            gorgyr

Hello TSgal,

Thank you for the explenation but that was not my problem.

I have 3 tables:

table1:ORDERS

table2:EVENTS

table3:AGENDA

In table3 i want to see the records of table1 AND table2. I can make the relations to see the records of only one table, but not to see the records of the 2 tables (table1 and table2).

Do you understand what i mean?

Thanks

• 3. Re: relations between two excisting tables and my agenda-table.
              etripoli
                 There's no such thing as a 'union' in FileMaker, so the closest you'll come to seeing multiple tables on one layout are portals, based on related tables.  Or, examine your db structure, and combine the Orders and Events tables into one table.
              • 4. Re: relations between two excisting tables and my agenda-table.
                TSGal

gorgyr:

Thank you for the clarification.

The answer from "etripoli" is correct (Thank you!).  That is, you cannot easily show both ORDERS and EVENTS in the same portal.  However, you can set up two portals.  One into ORDERS and one into EVENTS.  Therefore, make the first relationship from AGENDA into ORDERS and the second relationship from AGENDA into EVENTS.

Does that make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.