AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship Advice

Question asked by IsaacKnoflicek on Jul 10, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Relationship Advice

I'm probably the 1,000,000th post with that title har har!

I'm working on a modified version of the Invoices Starter Solution on FileMaker 13 and I need some help relating some data.

In the default solution each Customer has a "Company" which is just a field in the customer table.  I changed that field to "Groups" and related it to a new table called "Groups" via the "Group Name" field.  Then I created another table called "Projects" and each project is also related to a "Group" via the "Group Name" field.

I did this so that when a customer fills out an invoice, I wanted each item (each entry in the Invoice Data table) to have a drop down showing them only Projects associated with that Group.  I did this by creating a Value List which displays a "Project ID" field in the Projects table which included "only related values starting from: Invoices".

This works great, however I have some additional data in the Projects table that I need brought over.  If I add a "Project Name" field to the Invoice Data table that does a lookup in the projects table it will not always show the "Project Name" from the project the user selected.  I'm guessing it just looks for the first project associated with that group and lists that project's name.

I tried relating the Project ID field in Invoice Data to the Project ID field in the Projects table directly but it had to copy the table (which I don't really understand) and still gave me strange results.

Any advice on how I could set this up better?

Thanks,
     Isaac

Screen_Shot_2014-07-10_at_9.27.42_AM.png

Outcomes