4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 3:06 AM by LaRetta_1

Relationship assignment in Filemaker pro 11

NikhilMarrapu

Title

Relationship assignment in Filemaker pro 11

Hello members,

I have some 13 files which are relational on each other and are remotely used.

When i remote open one file(X), it further asks to open the files(Y, Z etc) which are in relationship with X.

I tried setting the relationships locally and hosted them on the server.

Now my question to all is

DO I NEED TO SET RELATIONSHIPS LOCALLY AND HOST THEM ON SERVER.

OR

DIRECTLY UPLOAD FILES TO SERVER AND SET THE RELATIONSHIPS.

Any help is appreciated and will be helpful.

Thanks

DSS Database.

• 1. Re: Relationship assignment in Filemaker pro 11
          davidanders
          A relationship creates a dependency from one file to another. No matter where it is hosted. You may not see a complaint unless you are on a layout with a field that requires the related file.
          • 2. Re: Relationship assignment in Filemaker pro 11
            LaRetta_1

You need to specify the exact locations in File > Manage > External Data Sources.  Then, when needed, the files will always be available.

The bad thing about allowing system to jump up and ask for a locaiton once you've opened the file is that, if it happens to a User then they may not know the location in which case the file will break or they may point to an incorrect file in which case the file will break.  By 'break' I mean that your scripts, calculations etc which depend upon this related information will not be there and unless you've scripted very tightly, it can damage your data.

• 3. Re: Relationship assignment in Filemaker pro 11
              NikhilMarrapu

When I open files on the machine itseld (not remote open)

when I open a file, which has a field that pulls data from another file, it asks me to open that file. Ok now I open the file and everything looks good, I am able to access data and everything is fine.

When I open the file remotely:

When i say remotely, I have files on the server(which runs Filemaker server and filemaker pro)  and I am opening them on the server machine using File->open->remote...

The file opens and asks me to open the dependant file, WHEN I TRY TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF THE FILE(REMOTE) IT GIVES ME MESSAGE

FILE AREADY OPEN, IF YOU WANT TO ACCESS THE FILE, TRY OPEN IN RECENT PLACES.

And the fields that are pulling data say <file missing>

Please anybody help on this issue.

I appreciate your help David and Laretta

• 4. Re: Relationship assignment in Filemaker pro 11
                LaRetta_1

You can specify more than one path.  Since you hold the files locally at times, list as:

file:FileName.fp7
                fmnet:/192.168.102.10/FileName.fp7

Repeat for each file.  Then when you open your file, it will first look locally (even if served) and then, if it can't find the file locally, it will look to the second line.  Even if served, it is best to list the direct file reference (first line) because when served, it will still look 'locally' in same directory first.  It is also best to list the computer name instead of the IP in case the IP changes (without you being notified).  Files should be served on server-class machine dedicated only to FileMaker and it should have static IP.