3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 9:29 AM by TSGal

Relationship Diagram problem???

synergy46

Title

Relationship Diagram problem???

There are 2 layouts:

Layout #1 is based on Stock

It has a portal based on StockTransactions.

That portal has these fields:

StockID.fk -- Value List based on  stock::StockID.pk and stock::symbl

TransDate..... etc....

When I select a stock symbol in stockID.fk the stock symbol shows but if I select a different symbol in the following row everything appears to be working.   Until I click out of the portal then that row is deleted??

Layout #2 is based on Stock2

It has a portal based onn OptionTransactions

That portal has these fields:

Opt_StockID.fk   (a Value list which shows Stock2 stock symbols as above)

OptionsID.fk   (A value list which shows a popup of option symbols based on Options::optionID.pk and Options::optsymbol.

This portal acts in the same weird way as the stocktransactions portal above.  So, I suspect the  problem is in the relationships????

Your help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Relationship Diagram problem???
          TSGal

synergy46:

Thank you for your post.

If I read this correctly, you have the stockid.pk field in the portal?  There is no reason to have it there.  Have the stockid.pk field outside the portal.  When you add a new record to the portal, the stockid.pk field will automatically be added from the current record.

I'm assuming this is also the case for the second example where you have the key field repeated in the portal.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Relationship Diagram problem???
            synergy46

I might be misunderstanding you. 

The stockID.pk and StockSymbol are the fields referenced in the OptionID Value List.  There are no .pk fields in the portal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• 3. Re: Relationship Diagram problem???
              TSGal

synergy46:

If the layout is based upon the Stock table, and the portal is based upon the relationship stockID.pk = stockID.fk, when you change the value of stockID.fk in the value list, it no longer belongs in the portal, because the key fields no longer match.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.