1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 4:20 PM by philmodjunk

Relationship for irrigation valves doesn't work!

mjroberson

Title

Relationship for irrigation valves doesn't work!

Hi All,

I want my database to track upgrades to features on individual valves in an irrigation system.  Items that I want to track include;  

Table 1. IC Irrigation controller (make, model, start and end dates) 

Table 2. VS Valve stations (from 1 to X valves, valve type, flow rate, duration, etc).

Table 3. uVS Valve station upgrades (same 1 to X as in Table 2, valve type, flow rate, duration, etc).

The valve stations in Table 3 (uVS), are the same as in Table 2 (VS).

My approach is to make the three tables and to enter data in the following order table 1, 2, 3.

However, I can't seem to get the valve stations entered in Table 2 to show up in Table 3.

I've set the relationship between the two valve station fields as equal and allow the creation of valves in table 2 to create valves in table 3 but when I enter data in table 2 it does not show up in table 3! 

However, when I create a valve in table 3 it does show up in table 2!

Please advise me as to what I can try to fix this issue.

thanks

• 1. Re: Relationship for irrigation valves doesn't work!
          philmodjunk

I've set the relationship between the two valve station fields as equal and allow the creation

That doesn't really tell us enough about your relationships. What fields are matched with that = operator? How do those fields specified as match fields get their value?

It would appear that you need this relationship:
               Table2::__pkValveID = Table3::_fkValveID

where __pkValveID is an auto-entered serial number field and _fkValveID is a number field (no auto-enter specified).

Then, to create a new record in Table 3, you either select a value in _fkValveID that links it to the correct Table2 record using a drop down list, or you set up a portal to Table3 on Table2 and enter data directly into a blank row of Table3. (Then the "allow creation..." option causes FileMaker to copy the value from __pkValveID into _fkValveID of the new record for you.)