4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 10:42 AM by KateGeschwind

Relationship Graphs

KateGeschwind

Title

Relationship Graphs

I am trying to create a one-to-one/many relationship between two related fields from two separate tables, but every time I try to create relationship graph under the Relationship tab, FileMaker automatically creates a many-to-many connecting line.  How can I select the type of relationship between fields (I haven't yet been able to find an option that allows me to switch the relationship type)?

Another problem that I have been running into is relating the fields: I have two tables currently, one that has sample ID's and one that has the location of the sample ID's.  When I enter the sample ID into the sample table, in the location field of the sample table I would like it to search the location table for the location of the sample ID (the sample ID is also listed in the location table, so I think it should be able to locate this value and then autofill the location field in the sample table).  I have tried to select the Data Displayed in Layout Mode to autofill the location field of the sample table with information from the location field in the location table, but this doesn't seem to work for me.  I would greatly appreciate advice on how to fix this! 

• 1. Re: Relationship Graphs
          philmodjunk

How can I select the type of relationship between fields?

FileMaker is reporting what type of relationship is possible given the field options of the field that you have selected as a match field. A field defined as an auto-entered serial number field or a field that has a unique values validation option specified will show the "single line connector" expected on the "one" side of a relationship. (global and other non-indexed fields show a "T" connector.) If non-unique values are possible, you get crows feet. This does not necessarily mean that you have to change a field option and get that single line connector as your relationship might function without any problems even though you have those Crows Feet on both ends of the relationship.

• 2. Re: Relationship Graphs
            philmodjunk

For your second question. What you describe does not make sense. Presumably, you can have many samples with the same location. That would imply a one to many relationship from Location to samples by Location ID, not Sample ID. Sample ID would not be a value that you would store in such a location table. And you would usually not want to have any fields in Samples that store the same data as a field in Location except for that Location ID value that links the two tables.

• 3. Re: Relationship Graphs
              KateGeschwind

I reformatted my two tables, Location, which has a a location ID (and can have many samples), and Samples, which will has the sample IDs that correspond to the locations.  I don't have the location of each sample entered into the Sample table, and so what I am trying to do is to link the location (or location ID) to that of the Location table so that it will autopopulate the location for all of the samples in the Sample table.  So far I have been unable to do this however, what would you suggest so that I am able to autopopulate the location of the samples?  

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Relationship Graphs
                KateGeschwind

Actually I believe that I was able to figure it out!  Thank you for the help