2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 2:33 PM by Matty_1

Relationship issue

Matty_1

Title

Relationship issue

I have two tables:

1. Incident Report

2. Investigation

In my Incident Report layout using the Incident Report Table I have a tabs, in order to properly procude the final printed report I needed all the different types of investigations to be all housed in the investigation table.  I have four different types of investigations:

1. Interview

2. Steps follows

3. Additional information

4. Outcomes

My solution to the problem of having to house all the different types of investigations on one table seemed simple.  Create a category field in my investigation table and then create the following relationships:

For my interviews:

Incident Reports::INCIDENT REPORTS ID = Incident Reports | Investigations::INCIDENT REPORTS ID MATCH

Incident Reports::INVESTIGATON MATCH | Interviews = Incident Reports | Investigations::Task | Category

For my Steps followed:

Incident Reports::INCIDENT REPORTS ID = Incident Reports | Investigations::INCIDENT REPORTS ID MATCH

Incident Reports::INVESTIGATON MATCH | Steps = Incident Reports | Investigations::Task | Category

For my Additional Facts and Findings:

Incident Reports::INVESTIGATON MATCH | Additional Facts = Incident Reports | Investigations::Task | Category

and for my outcomes:

Incident Reports::INVESTIGATON MATCH | Outcomes = Incident Reports | Investigations::Task | Category

I checked the ability to create records in this table via this relationship on the Incident Reports | Investigations table.

I then went to my Incident Report layout and created my first portal for the interviews in my first tab and asked it to show records based on the first listed relationship above.  Worked fine, I was able to create three new records, no problem.

I then created my second portal for my stpes Followed in the second tab and set it up the same way but chose the second relationship listed above.  For soem reason the portal is displaying the "details" field from the first record in the related table.  Not only that, I don't have a blank bottom record to try and create any new ones dispiste checking htree times to make sure I had turned on the "create records via this relatiship"  Does make sense to me .....  I don't know why it's displaying this this.  I tried a third portal to see if I can going crazy and it's doing the same thing.

help please :)

• 1. Re: Relationship issue
          philmodjunk

Enter layout mode and confirm that this details field refers to the table occurrence of the second table occurrence for Incident Reports and not the first.

Perhaps you duplicated the original portal and then used portal setup to redirect the copy to the second table occurrence? That works, but you also have to "repoint" any fields in the portal row as well. wink

• 2. Re: Relationship issue
            Matty_1

haha you're absolutly correct, I completely forgot to change the fields occurrences.  **Bangs head on wall**  Thanks Phil!