AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship on same table? For a school - linking parents to students

Question asked by AmyKraunz on Jul 30, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Relationship on same table? For a school - linking parents to students

I'm fairly new to FMP and am developing a database for my child's school. Thanks to one user I've learned a LOT and compeleted started from scratch and made my whole database relational. It's working great, HOWEVER I'm having one small hiccup that is driving me crazy. So..... among a few tables I have I have a student info table (this is my "parent" file in database terms), I have a parent info table. the tables are related, so if you re on a student page you can see who their parent(s) are. On the parent page you can see who their student(s) are along with connecting via a relationship page to their volunteer hours and to a separate donation table. What I would REALLY like though is to be able to connect to parents that are married/partners, but they are on the same table. For example, if John Smith #0001 is married to Mary Smith #00002 I'd like to be able to put a field/button/portal on John's page that says partner/spouse ID, I can input that ID and it connects to Mary's page. Is there anyway to do this. I'm driving myself crazy trying to make it work. Thanks for your help!

Outcomes