Title

Relationship problem or Layout problem?

Here is the deal:

3 tables:  

Members

Visitors

Zipcodes

Members is 1 to many into Zipcodes

Visitors is 1 to many into Zipcodes(2)   (2nd Table Occurance)

The City and State of each table are lookups into their respective Zipcode tables and return the respective city and states.   At least that is how it works in the Members table.

The Members table is represented in a TABBED layout.    When I add another tab to that layout for the vistitors table I get IN EVERY FIELD ==>   <UNRELATED TABLE>. And if I try and enter something I get "Operation could not be completed because the target is not part of a related table."  

Seems like there may be a problem with adding a tab to a table that is NOT related to the Members table. 

I have set up a separate table for Visitors and linked it to ZipCodes(2) and it works.  I also tried to put the Vistiors table on a separate TAB in the Members layout and that only produced problems.   Shouldn't I be able to put an unrelated table on a tabbed layout?:smileysurprised:

Thanks for reading and thinking ....

Ron

• 1. Re: Relationship problem or Layout problem?
          davidhead

Hi Ron

You may be misunderstanding what tab objects are used for. Basically, they are used to display different subsets of information about the parent record. So in your case, where you are looking at a member record, each tab will contain information relating to that member. That information may be from the member record itself or from related records.

You therefore cannot display an unrelated visitor record on a tab on a member layout. This makes sense because FileMaker Pro doesn't know which visitor record you might be wanting to display.

The only exception here is that if you wanted to display a portal of perhaps ALL visitor records, you could do that by creating a cartesian (cross) join relationship from th member table to the visitor table.

So what is it you are trying to display and why? Try to provide concrete example to explain yourself. 

• 2. Re: Relationship problem or Layout problem?
            synergy46

Thanks for the reply.  I suspected what you said was true when I posted the question.  So, I can quit trying to get it to work .... :smileysurprised:

As a work around, I placed a 'tab like' button at the end of the tabs which takes the user to a layout that has a button / tab to return to the original layout when finished.   Seems to work well.

Thanks again.

Ron