4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2012 8:12 AM by grzlyhippo

Relationship problem with invoice layout

grzlyhippo

Title

Relationship problem with invoice layout

Hi I'm starting up a new DB for project management and invoicing. Very basic at moment but although I have spent Days on this problem I and have tried various solutions I still cannot solve it... I have a relationship between billing line items TO and invoice TO that doesn't seem to be working.

for example:

1. Line item Billing fields added to the layout invoices (TO Invoices), are recognised as related, yet data is still absent on browsing.

2. Portals on the invoice layout recognise the Billing TO as related and happily set up a portal and fields, yet the fields remain blank.

I have examined the relationships, which I think is where the answer lies. so much so this is where i'm getting confused

I have Ungrouped any fields in the portals

I have examined the billing portal on other related layouts to check my set up and data is visible.

Please help.

• 1. Re: Relationship problem with invoice layout
          GuyStevens

What is the exact relationship you have made?

You should have an Invoice table with an InvoiceId. This is a number field with auto enter serial value.

This field should be related to an InvoiceIdFk (Foreign Key) field that is a number field in the Line Items table.

This line items table should also have it's own ID field that's a number field with auto enter serial value. But this field should not be involved in the relationship.

This relationship should be defined as to "Allow the creation of records" on the Line items side of the relationship.

Then you have a layout based on the Invoice table and a portal based on the Line items table.

And you should have no problems.

Maybe verify your actual date in the line items table, to make sure line items are having he correct Invoice ID in the InvoiceIdFk field.

Also check to see if you don't accidentally have a white font colour an a white background.

Wouldn't be the first time :)

• 2. Re: Relationship problem with invoice layout
            grzlyhippo

Hi thanks for a swift response.

I have included my db file so you can see if there are any descrepancies in my set up.

I have checked everything identified in your post, which thankfully were already in place (so I'm not going mad!!), but still no change. Your eyes may spot something that I'm not seeing. Thanks for your time.

• 3. Re: Relationship problem with invoice layout
              GuyStevens

I don't see any attachement.

If you want you can mail it to me, I'll PM you my adress.

• 4. Re: Relationship problem with invoice layout
                grzlyhippo

Sorry, will email it direct to you...