AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship problem...I think!

Question asked by IanRycroft on May 9, 2011
Latest reply on May 16, 2011 by IanRycroft

Title

Relationship problem...I think!

Hi there, I am hoping the knowledgable on here are going to be able to help a novice out.

I created a company database some years ago when Filemaker was version 6, nothing fancy, just an address book, estimate, job sheet and purchase order system. Although I had no knowledge I managed to get to the point that it has worked for us for many years and I'm sure a Filemaker developer would fall about laughing if he took a look at it.

I'm now trying to recreate a similar system using Filemaker Pro 11. I've used the address book that comes with the application and then added the extra bits we require but this time trying to use key fields, something I didn't on the original, but I cannot for the life of me get it to work in the way I want.

As far as I can tell it's something to do with how I am linking the the tables to the address book. If I create more than one estimate and click the 'New Job Sheet' button it creates a new Job sheet record and inserts the address info into it (via a lookup I created) but if create any more estimates using the same client address it links to the original one rather than letting me have numerous estimates and job sheets with same address info but different job numbers and Project numbers. Also seems to link the total cost of two estimates into one job sheet with the same client info.

I realise this may all be too vague to give a direct answer but any help would ad least give me a fighting chance to solve it.

I have screen grabbed the relationship pages and the tables (client info blurred out)

Many thanks

filemaker.jpg

Outcomes