AnsweredAssumed Answered

Relationship problem? or how to autopopulate a field with info from another table's field?

Question asked by AnitaWoods on Jan 25, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Relationship problem? or how to autopopulate a field with info from another table's field?

I am new to Filemaker, coming over from MS Access, and have a Contacts table and a Services table.  In Access, I had these tables related by a Contacts:ContactID related one-to-many to the Services:ContactID table, automatically populating the Services:ContactID field with the identical autonumber from Contacts:ContactID whenever a new Service record is created.  The Services table has a Name field that uses a Lookup to Contacts:Fullname (a concatenation of Contacts:Firstname & Lastname), and a field with the date the service was performed, Services:ServiceDate.  

I have a References report that has the following fields: Services:Name, Services:ServiceDate, Contacts:Phone1, and Contacts:Email.  It works perfectly for records originally created in Access.  But new Service records do not automatically populate the Services:ContactID field, so the Phone1 and Email fields do not appear.  I've tried to relate them through the Contact:FullName and Services:Name fields, but when I do that all the names & phone numbers and emails are incorrect.  Is this a relationship problem?  Can someone help me with what I am doing wrong?  I think I could get this to work if I could get Services:ContactID to automatically store the Contacts:ContactID from the Services:Name field, but how do I do that in FM?  Thanks for your help.

Outcomes